Saturday 4 February 2012

Encounter with our 'pote' maker





                                         'Pote' maker


                                       Women in rural Nepal wearing 'pote' necklaces



Colorful पोते  necklaces with तिलहरी ,चवादी चोली with फरिया , nose and ears covered with huge gold jewelry and flowers in the hair…..quintessential Nepalese beauty n all her rustic charm.
'pote' (pronounced po-they) are colorful glass beaded necklaces of various colors and length that women in Nepal wear as one of the symbols of marriage,  like a wedding ring or red “sindoor” in the parting of your hair. Though not married, I love the elegance of these handmade beads and wanted pieces that I could wear occasionally. A trip to Nepal lead to the discovery of this wonderful artist who created these necklaces and bracelets using pote and colorful jute strings in his humble backyard. Although not so uncommon (as these beaded jewellery are very often worn by several Nepalese women) he was still at this trade and trying to eke a living out of this. I wondered why isn’t he farming anymore or occupying himself in a trade more lucrative as the competition is clearly stiff in these parts. To this he gave a broken smile as if to say ‘what would you city dwellers know?!'

No! A smile wasn’t good enough for me…I wanted to know. My curiosity getting the better of me I  enquired if I could buy some of the pieces there and pat came the reply with the brightest of smiles.  He thawed after my initial enquiries and was ready to answer most of my questions. The astronomical prices of things, the constant struggle to get his children better educated, the seasonal nature of his crops left him with no option and he says he enjoys his work in some ways. It makes him happy to see women like what he so painstakingly makes, every bead that he so carefully puts together in beautiful colored strings. This is what he has known all his life apart from farming. He can’t change his trade and start afresh. It is too risky he says. So, he prefers staying away from his family for months together, traveling from one city to another, trying to sell these just so that he is able to catch up with his family’s growing needs.

I thought to myself, these are just perfect for my dresses and they will go with my t-shirts alright so, I bought several of these pieces and brought them back to India and tried selling it to my friends. This way, I will not only help this man but also bring these amazing colorful jewellery to all those who want it. What started with one man and with some friends has gone up to a larger scale and now there are several men and women who supply these 'pote' to us and we bring them to a large network of people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment